The Blackfox Awards are given for excellence in a variety of areas related to local and Kingdom newsletters. They were instituted in memory of Master William Blackfox, author and illustrator of the Warthaven cartoons, which he generously sent every month for many years for publication in the various kingdom newsletters.
Each spring Kingdom Chroniclers across the Known World peruse the past year of local newsletters within their kingdoms, chose a maximum of three deserving examples for each of the award categories, and submit them to the Society Chronicler and her panel of judges for consideration. These worthies ponder the entries, and eventually come to a decision, which is announced in the Fall issues of Tournaments Illuminated. You can read about the process in more detail on the SCA web site: http://www.sca.org/officers/chronicler/blackfox-awards.html
This years awards are out, and the East is well represented, with winners in two categories:
For Best Layout and Design:
Notes from Underground, Barony of the Bridge, Chronicler: Lady Mina di Pasquale.
Awarded for the best looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
For Best Artwork:
Northern Watch, Barony of Endewearde, Chronicler: Oleksandr Brazhnyk, Artist: Lady Agatha Wanderer, Portrait of Master Gregory Finche .
Awarded for artwork on cover or interior of the newsletter. Awarded to the newsletter and the artist.
The complete list of nominees can be found in the current Tournaments Illuminated, and will eventually be added to the Blackfox Awards page on sca.org. A hearty and well deserved Vivant to both the winners, and all the hard-working local chroniclers who were nominated. With twelve to fiftenn Kingdoms nominating in most categories, the competition was fierce.
The other nominees for the East are:
Best Overall Newsletter – This does not necessarily mean the best-looking newsletter, but rather the newsletter which best meets the needs of the local group or guild for which it is published. It should accurately reflect the status of the group and be a valuable tool for growth and promotion of the SCA goals and ideals. This title is awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- The Chanticleer, Barony Beyond the Mountain, Chronicler: Lady Johanna de Glastingburi
- The Carolingian Minuscule. Barony of Carolingia, Chronicler: Lady Edith of Steyning
- Northern Watch, Barony of Endewearde, Chronicler: Oleksandr Brazhnyk
Best Layout and Design – for the best looking newsletter in balance and style. Awarded to the newsletter and the Chronicler.
- The Viaduct, Barony of An Dubhaigeann, Chronicler: Lady Onóra inghean Uí Rauirc
- Les Nouvelles du Havre, Barony of Havre des Glaces, Chronicler: Mikhail Vladimiroff Tatarin
Best Regular Feature – for those cartoons, articles, columns, etc. which appear regularly in the particular newsletter. Awarded to the creator or feature writer and the newsletter.
- The Chanticleer, Barony Beyond the Mountain, Chronicler: Lady Johanna de Glastingburi, Archaeology News, Author: Lady Johanna de Glastingburi
- Notes from Underground, Barony of the Bridge, Chronicler: Lady Mina di Pasquale, Recipe of the Month, Author: Lady Mina di Pasquale
- The Salamander, Barony of Bhakhail, Chronicler: Lord Martyn de Halliwell, Lesser Known Orders, Author: Lianor de Matos
Best Article – recognizes excellence in articles appearing in a local newsletter. Awarded to the writer and the newsletter.
- Bergental Berserker, Barony of Bergental, Chronicler: Lady Barbeta Kyrkeland, Author: Maîtresse Elwynne Rowenna de Wentworth, The Crestfallen Tourney (a small history)
- Carolingian Minuscule, Barony of Carolingia, Chronicler: Lady Edith of Steyning, Author: Duke Sir Vissevald Selkirksson, Adventures In Reconstruction
- Carolingian Minuscule, Barony of Carolingia, Chronicler: Lady Edith of Steyning, Author: Mistress Eowyn Eilonwy of Alewife Brook, On the Matter of the Succession and Coronation
Best Artistic contribution to a Kingdom Newsletter – Recognizes the artist of a piece provided for use by a Kingdom Newsletter. Awarded to the artist.
- Baroness Shadiyah al-Zahra, The Shape of the Stars
- Christiana Crane. Untitled Illuminated Capital
- Ian Raven, Illuminated Capital P
Honorable Mention – Nominations which didn’t fit into the above categories, yet are still deserving of recognition for their exceptional work and/or dedication to producing the best possible newsletter for the local group served. Awarded to the individual nominee.
- The Chanticleer, Barony Beyond the Mountain, Chronicler: Lady Johanna de Glastingburi, Author: Mistress Eloise of Coulter, Your New Baron and Baroness: Your User’s Manual
- Thereby Hangs a Tale, Canton of Lions End (Barony of An Dubhaigeann), Chronicler: Lady Maeve of Abbeydorney