War is approaching quickly and I am seeking anyone who is interested in retaining for Their Majesties during Pennsic!
In order to put together a preliminary schedule before the war, I am asking that anyone interested indicate their availability using an online sign up sheet here.
Please keep a few things in mind as you are signing up:
1. You are not signing up for specific shifts– I will be using this information to build a schedule and will contact you with your scheduled shift and more information. This is only so that I can better organize when volunteers are available, and as such, there is no limit to how many people can sign up in each slot. (The actual shifts will be approx 3 hours long in staggered blocks.)
2. Please put your email address and not your phone number where it asks for phone number. I will be sending out all information (including the retaining schedule) by email before Pennsic starts. (If you do not hear from me by July 20th, please email me directly and let me know)
3. If you have any special concerns (or would like to ensure you are scheduled along side someone else specific) please feel free to put that information in the comments section.
4. If you prefer, you can email me directly to talk about availability or to schedule a shift– please put Pennsic Retaining in the subject field.
5. I am looking for anyone who is interested, and this includes anyone who
may be new to retaining or interested in trying it out for the first
time– if this will be your first time retaining, please just let me
know and I will pair you with someone who can help guide you through it!
If you have any questions, please contact me, and if you are unable to sign up before Pennsic begins, I will have a book with all available shifts at the hospitality tent in East Kingdom Royal, please stop by and sign up for when you are able.
Thank you, and I look forward to seeing you all at War!
(Head Lady in Waiting to Their Majesties)
After a few times being asked the question of what exactly a retainer does– the quick answer is the following:
As a retainer or a lady in waiting, you serve many roles. You are an extra set of eyes, ears, and hands for the royalty, often carrying the things They need to have with them, as well as writing notes of things They need to remember. Your primary job is to make sure that They have food and drink, They are where They need to be on time, and that everything They might need to remember is written down.
A longer answer can be found here.
If you are interested in a more detailed answer, please contact me, and I would be happy to answer any questions.