“Our Society is built on the ideals of chivalry and courtesy but runs by the concept of service.”
(West Kingdom Newcomers Guide)
The following individuals and groups were commended to the SCA Inc. Board of Directors as part of the Quarter 4 reports by Society and Corporate Officers:
SCA Inc. President Commendations:
- Thank you to Jennifer Smith (Magistra Emma de Fetherstan) who is just stepping down as the Society’s Laurel Sovereign of Arms. Jennifer did an excellent job as Laurel and also made a focused and professional effort to maintain and update the policies which handle that highly important office and keep all those incredible heralds informed and organized. Thanks again Jennifer for all your work.
- Sam Davis (Thomas Blackmoore) SCA, Inc.’s Manager of Information Technology please accept my grateful kudos for all you do for the organization and working so hard to help improve not only our communications but also for taking my calls at odd times and dispensing common sense in all areas tech related.
- The work Carolyn Richardson (Baroness Tetchubah of Greenlake) as Corporate Treasurer and Bonnie Stringer (Mistress Marcel Orillion) as Society Chancellor of the Exchequer have done in the last year maintaining the financial responsibilities of the organization, Kingdom, and groups was essential. Carolyn’s leadership on the budget also has been necessary for the continued existence of the organization.
- The above are just a small number of the good people who do magnificent work at all levels of the Society. There are never enough thanks, hugs, or high fives to go around to those who work unselfishly for others.
- Continued thanks to Charles, Travis, Carolyn, Brigid, Eben, Katie, Louise, Lis, Stacy, Laura, LLF, Marla, Nataalya and so many others for working with me on an almost daily basis and offering help when needed.
Society Seneschal Commendations:
- Robyn Bainter (Mistress Myfanwy ferch Eifion) stepped down in November 2023 as Ansteorra’s kingdom seneschal. During her tenure Robyn oversaw the early days of the new Principality of Vindheim, various changes to Ansteorra kingdom law, and some crises and issues that might have daunted lesser humans. Through it all she displayed courtesy and professionalism. Here’s hoping she can enjoy family and personal pursuits for awhile!
- Kendra DeVaughn (Mistress Kendra Dey) ended her term as kingdom seneschal of Gleann Abhann in December 2023. Kendra stepped into the job after a couple of shorter terms and had some clean-up to do simply because of that fact. She oversaw the resumption of Gulf Wars as the SCA’s first large multi-kingdom event to occur following the pandemic shutdown and displayed a cool head when issues emerged, as well as beginning a needed review of kingdom laws. Kendra has held several positions recently and I hope she can also enjoy more personal pursuits for a little while.
- Louise Smithson (Mistress Helewyse de Birkestad) also ended her term as the Middle Kingdom seneschal in December 2023. Helewyse’s good humor and no-nonsense approach helped her kingdom run smoothly during her tenure, and she worked to streamline procedures and help small groups recover after the pandemic. I know she has many interests to pursue in “retirement”.
- Mandy Grayson (Mistress Attia Prima) will, by the time this report is shared, have turned over the office of kingdom seneschal of An Tir after three fairly tumultuous years. An Tir is one of the largest kingdoms in both territory and population, and Attia worked hard to keep everything running smoothly as we emerged from the pandemic and beyond. I hope she enjoys a well-deserved break.
- Kingdom Seneschal is a very important job that often goes unrecognized. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with all four of these ladies and I wish them well in all future endeavors.
Kingdom Seneschal Commendations:
- An Tir: Principality Summits Seneschal Seamus steps down in December. He is ready to be done. I can’t say how much I appreciated his humor, and levity he brought while in the office. I had the privilege to work with him, and can honestly say he taught me more than me him. He would be an asset to any office….if you can get him to do another office.
- Atlantia: I found the value of a good emergency deputy, Edan Lowery. Also, I would like to commend my regional deputies, Mistress Avice Claremond (Maryland), Tiama Lughaidh O’ Murchadha (Virginia), Lord Alesander Davison (North Carolina) and Dame Morwenna Trevethan (South Carolina/Georgia). They have been doing a great job running the Baronial Pollings, of which we have had many this year, and being my first responders when there is an issue in their area. I can’t do itwithout them!
- Caid: We held the extremely successful 25th Anniversary Great West War in October. The War Stewards, Sir Gavin MacDhomhnuill and Mistress Cara Michelle DuValier, deserve recognition for their service and dedication to event and the kingdom.
- Northshield: THL Gal Mergen has had great ideas on getting others to contribute and participate. Including having long time members participate in a jumble sale to help newer members get more gear that is “SCA”. Syr Hjorleif Ottarrson has been a fresh air for the UP group and has been a calming force. He is an excellent member of the SCA. Master Farolfus filius Richardi for helping solve a missing step in our inclusiveness on event packets. He was a guiding light in making a quick revision.
Communications and Social Media Commendations:
- The Gleann Abhann Reaper Challenge was a success. A BIG thank you to Sir Titus Lupinus who supplied content for his Kingdom. Content was shared on YouTube and TikTok.
- A big thank you to Mistress Rosalind bint Mihrimah who by the time of this meeting will have completed a wonderful term as Kingdom Social Media Officer for Gleann Abhann
- The Calontir Social Media team are working with the RUSH Minister and Chatelaine on virtual classes.
- Centurion Margery Heron for her continuing work as Marketing Deputy – thank you for all your ideas and actions.
- The Trimaris Discord has grown! The team have been heavily promoting it during the last couple of reigns and it has shown. We’re excited to see what the new Deputy Lord Konrad does in his care of it.
- Their Majesties of Trimaris have been super supportive in the promotion of Their Kingdom’s social media platforms. They have created and pushed out various promotional materials with links to our online spaces provided. An example is business cards to hand out to new people at fighter practices and demos that have QR codes on them linking to the Discord, Facebook, and Website.
- Heraldic QR Codes with links to local group social media outlets have been created for most of the Trimaris local groups at this time. It has helped tremendously with recruitment efforts. Congrats to all involved
- My thanks as always to Katie, John, Charles, Lis, Leslie, Sam and Nicholas and all the amazing content creators across the Known World who continue to communicate the opportunities and benefits inherent in our community.
Vice President of Corporate Operations Commendations:
- Commendations and well-wishes are in order for Mazelle Attiya (Alysia Gabrielle De Fougeres) who has stepped down after serving the Society for many years, as Corporate Treasurer and then our dedicated Accounting Specialist. I wish her much rest and relaxation!
- My thanks as always to Treasurer Carolyn Richardson (Baroness Tetchubah of Greenlake) and Exchequer Bonnie Stringer (Mistress Marcel Orillion) for their fierce and constant work at overseeing the finances of the Society on both the Corporate and Kingdom levels.
- And to our new Society Marshal Dr. Melissa Midzor (Maestra Arabella da Siena), for all the work she is doing to update and streamline the digital presence of the Office of the Marshal.
- Kudos to Travis Schenck (Lord Ramon De Javier) for the exceptional amount of work and innovation he has done with the Archives. He has settled into the job beautifully and is highly productive. Thanks to all the members of the Publications Team for continuing to provide wonderful publications to the benefit of the SCA community.
Tournaments Illuminated Commendations:
- My thanks as always to the fine folks who provide Tournaments Illuminated with its wonderful content, to the staff who help produce each issue, and to the SCA Publications team who provide matchless support. Tournaments Illuminated would not be what it is without you.
Compleat Anachronist Commendations:
- Thank you to Sara Rossi and Daniel Phelps for CA 202, The Lucet Compendium. Daniel previously wrote CA 151: The Three Nights of Daniel Du Pau, and he has now turned his attention to lucet. He “met” Sara Rossi via the internet, and they have collaborated on this CA. Sara has written the lucet history section, and he is responsible for the ‘how to’ part. Sara is not officially in the SCA and is wishing that there were an official group in Italy. I have put her in touch with people in Drachenwald who may be able to help her. Many thanks to both of them.
- Thanks also to E.C. “Stan” Field, who created the illustrations for Phelps’s practical section.
- Elise Fleming completed her usual fantastic copy editing, and I have no doubt that Sue Gilbert’s layout expertise will make this book superb.
SCA Archive Commendations:
- The Archive would like to thank Melinda Sherbring known in the society as Mistress Eowyn Amberdrake for her permission to digitize “The SCA Book of Questions.”
- The Archive would like to thank Pam Perryman known in the Society as Her Excellency Yseult of Broceliande for her consultation on digitizing works in the “Elf Hill Times Song Book.”
- The Archive wishes to express gratitude to the Merewyn of Ynys Taltraeth Chronicler of the Barony of Wintergate for sending published copies of the Gatekeeper regularly to the archive. We look forward to receiving it in the mail.
Society Herald Commendations:
- We want to commend two heralds this month for adding to our store of optional titles for different languages: Kallinikos Gavras, Rouge Scarpe Herald of the Midrealm for his research on Nahuatl titles; and Nest verch Gwilim, Crane Herald of Atlantia for her work updating Welsh titles
- I’d like to commend all the Board ombudsmen I’ve had the pleasure of working with: Dan Watson (Bartholemew Hightower), Alaric Drake (Craig Carter), and Phelim Gervaise (Pug Bainter). You’ve all been very supportive and a joy to work with. I’d also especially like to thank Sam for being indulgent and understanding with the technology terror that heralds can be, and Lis for all the support and advice of the more “fun” aspects of being a Society officer.
- I could not have done this job, of course, without the support of my staff and fellow heralds: my predecessor Juliana who naturally gave good advice; my invaluable sovereigns Oddr and Iago and Elizabeth, without whom I definitely couldn’t have done this work; the machines that are Thorkell and Jeanne Marie and Lilie and Shauna and now Ollivier and Helena; the more behind-the-scenes folks like Herveus and Istvan and Reis, without whom none of this would be online; Cormac and Ragna for all the artwork; all of our previous sovereigns and senior heralds and new heralds alike who are engaged and researching and advising and hopefully having fun while still learning. Heraldry is a team sport, and ya’ll are my team.
SCA Inc. Treasurer Commendations:
- I would like to commend Mazelle Attiya for her more than 17 years of service to the SCA as our treasurer and accounting specialist. Mazelle has wisely elected to move on in her professional career and has resigned from all her offices at the corporate level. She’s leaving some very big shoes to fill for such a small person.
Society Exchequer Commendations:
- Many thanks to Dawn Reed for serving as Outlands Exchequer – she stepped out and right back in office. Her successor is doing well.
- Thanks to David Harvill. He served as East Kingdom’s Exchequer for several years.
- Welcome Susan Sackett as Society PayPal deputy.
- Many thanks to Mazelle for 17 years of service as Corp Treasurer and the tax specialist.
Society Marshall Commendations:
- The Society Marshal would like to give a hearty thanks to Sam David (SCA IT), Marla Lecin (SCA Webmaster), and Brigid Costello (SCA Communications), and Leslie Luther-Fulton (EA BoD) for all their help in getting the Society Marshal’s office set up so quickly. This included numerous new accounts and change-overs, finding lost files and account accesses, many warrants, and recruiting and promoting our new deputies and activities.
- The Deputy Society Marshal for Armored Combat commends Sir Davin Kinnaird MacAilean (KEM of Caid) and his team for a well run Great Western War.
- The Deputy Society Marshal for Equestrian would like recognize Earl Edward Ian Anderson (KEO of AnTir) for his work in creating ways to motivate equestrians to continue their activities despite the issues we have with increased gas prices and distance across the kingdom. He created a way to do a kingdom championship that would extend through-out the year, and would be done in each of the participants’ local area, then reported to him to keep track. The first year had 14 participants!
- The Deputy Society Marshal for Thrown Weapon commends Eadgyth aet Staeningum, Ranulf of IDD, Onora Glencairn. These members of the East Kingdom are taking lead on the development and presenting virtual Thrown Weapons Marshal classes in Tir Mara. Tir Mara has few TW marshals and a large geographical area so this program is assisting in creating more marshals with our Canadian members. This program may help becoming a TW marshal an easier process.
- The Deputy Society Marshal for Rebated Blades commends Duchess Seonaid for helping me with research, and Arabella
Society Minister for Arts & Sciences Commendations:
- I commend all Kingdom and local Arts and Sciences officers for their good work in the Arts and Sciences community. I am proud of everyone who facilitates, plans, and participates in A&S activities.
- Congratulations to the winner of An Tir’s Kingdom Bardic Competition, Margaret inghean Domnail.
- Commendations to Master Hrólfr á Fjárfelli and Mistress Elska á Fjárfelli, of Æthelmearc, for their excellent terms of service as Kingdom Ministers of Arts and Sciences.
- Commendations to Aoife inghean Michil for becoming Royal Artisan, she is Ansteorra’s first experimental archeology winner.
- Commendations to Marguerite de Montagne and Tti’iana Zoia Aleksieva for mastery of their arts in the Kingdom of Artemisia.
- Congratulations to Atenveldt’s new King’s Champion, Emeludt von Zerssen for her display of metalwork in Finnish garb, and to their New Queen’s Champion, Mistress Catlyn O’Sullivan for her work in Illumination.
- Commendations to Olamnh Jeane Kilmeny for her successful term of service as Atlantia’s University Chancellor. Congratulations to Tempore Atlantia winner Anauved de Mona, who won the competition with her birch bark hat.
- Commendations to everyone who helped make Drachenwald’s in-person University event a success.
- Commendations to the following people in East Kingdom: Maestrina Chiaretta di Fiore, the other organizers, and the staff of the St. Eligius Arts and Sciences competition for a job well done. To Aurelia Colleoni a’Buccafurno for her excellent work creating the topical guides to help local A&S ministers. Thank you to Mistress Amalie von Hohensee, of East Kingdom, for sharing her idea of #NoviceNovemberSCA, and encouraging artisans of the Known World to share their novice attempts at arts and sciences, reminding us that we all began somewhere.
- Congratulations to Gleann Abhann’s new Kingdom Champion of the Arts & Sciences: Lailiane Ausonia. Royal Artisan: Robert the Just. Gulf Wars Champions: Lailiane Ausonia, Robert the Just, Maymunah al Siqilliyah, Cyprian an Doire, and Adalind. Alternates for Gulf Wars Champion: Beatris Pollock, and Colleen of Ironox.
- Congratulations to the recipeients of Lochac’s Star and Lily Award: Solveig Ulfsdottir, and will Orlando. The recipients of Taillefer: Lowrans Wilyamson, Duarte de la Guitarra, and Griete van Groningen. Recipient of Cockatrice: Thomas Boardmakere.
- Commendations to Baron Bjorn of Thor’s Mountain in Meridies for his incredible tablet weaving which includes creating prizes for a charity tournament, and to Lord Yamamoto Shingern from Nant-y-derwyddon for building a portable pizza oven which has been used for a demonstration at art night and to make pizza for an elevation. Additional commendations to Mistress Ellen de Lacey for her constant dedication for an online presence.
- Commendations to a very new member, Magnus White-hair, of Middle Kingdom for sharing the leatherworking skills and knowledge he brought into the SCA by teaching and demonstrating.
- Commendations to all the people who greatly contributed to the success of the recent Stellar University of Northshield.
- Commendations to Mistress Marion Forester for her time as Outlands Kingdom Minister of Arts and Sciences.
- Commendations to Mistress Ambra in the Kingdom of Trimaris, who has been adding the final touches to their new Kingdom Ministers of Arts and Sciences handbook.
- Commendations to Constance Frazier, who is working on a German to English translation of Hundt. This is a great service to our Historical Martial Arts community.
- Commendations to Hellen of Haldane (of Northshield). and to Elizabeth of
- Roxbury Mill (of Midrealm) for teaching Scribal, both have taught frequently and as requested many times this year.
Peerage Committee Commendations:
- Big thanks to Susan Carroll-Clark (Magistra Nika Dmitrieva doch’ Zvezdina) for their quick turnaround in the requested board edits.
Census Committee Commendations:
- As chair, I’d like to thank all the members of the committee for their hard work, but especially Sciath ingen Chaennaig; we’d never have gotten this done without her.
In addition, the Board wishes to commend:
The members of the Peerage Committee for their hard work and extensive service:
- Baron Ryan mac Whyte, OP, East, Chairperson mka Greg Regnier
- Sir Bartholomew Hightower, Artemesia mka Dan Watson
- Magistra Nika Dmitrieva doch’ Zvezdina, Ealdormere mka Susan Carroll Clark
- Master Llewellyn ap Tiernon, Middle mka Micheal Hobbs
- Sir John FitzRauf, West mka John Edgerton
- Baron Kevin the Broken, Meridies mka Kevin Jennings
- Master Melchior zum grauen Wolf, Atlantia mka Kevin Baun
The members of the Census Committee for their work and committment to data excellence:
- Chair: Julia Smith, PhD, Dame Juliana de Luna, OL,OP in the Kingdom of An Tir
- Trudi Crumpwright (Doctoral Candidate), Baroness Sciath ingen Chaennaig, OL in the
- Kingdom of Ealdormere, assistant chair
- Kelly Campbell, Kelwin Ratslayer, OP, KSCA in the Kingdom of Artemisia, lead for
- quantitative analysis
- James Meadows (Doctoral Candidate), Magister Taran the Wayward, OP in Kingdom of
- Meridies, lead for qualitative analysis
- Kelly Magill, Baroness Heather Shea, in the kingdom of Ealdormere, lead for
- Sarah Chapman, Honorable Lady Sarah Kettilswif in the Kingdom of the Middle,
- marketing and communication
- Kate Daniel, MS, CHES, Baroness Maimuna al-Bukhariyya, OP in the Kingdom of the
- Lisa Sawyer, Mistress Ysabeau of Prague, OP in the Kingdom of Ansteorra
- Shanna Durrant, Lady Satake Naname in the Kingdom of Artemisia
- Lew Wolkoff, Lord Eleazar ha-Levi in the Kingdom of the East
- Megan Loughran, Baroness Muirenn ingen Donndubain, OP, in the Kingdom of Caid
Thank you to the many volunteers around the Knowne World who work so we all can play!