For the past eight years, East Kingdom Gazette has been the original independent and unofficial source of East Kingdom news. We are run by a small crew of volunteer editors who work hard to make sure the news gets published in a timely manner, and to help spread the word about all the amazing things that happen in the East Kingdom.
We are currently taking applications to add some volunteer at-large editors to our staff.
Responsibilities are as follows:
– Be available to be scheduled 1 – 2 days per month (according to your availability) as editor of the day
– On scheduled days, be able to check the Gazette email, as well as relevant social media channels, multiple times throughout the day for updates and news.
– Be able and available to publish news items on our WordPress site in a timely manner throughout the day
– Be comfortable communicating with other editors, as well as reaching out to local and Kingdom officers via email with questions and updates
– Be interested and curious about what is going on in the East and the SCA, and be enthusiastic about sharing that info. We’re looking for people who see information published who can say “Oh! We should make sure that’s shared in the Gazette!”
Applicants will need to be comfortable using WordPress and be able to access our Gmail email account. Being able to regularly check SCA social media accounts, including Facebook, is also extremely helpful.
We are passionate about making sure the beauty and diversity of the width and breadth of the East Kingdom is represented in our staff. We are particularly looking for applicants from Tir Mara, and people who can make sure a wide variety of voices are represented.
To be successful in this volunteer role you should be reliable, and able to take initiative to post articles and use good judgement about what is appropriate content for the Gazette, and be able to give the Gazette regular attention on the days you’re scheduled as editor. You’ll be working with a great team and will have the opportunity to virtually meet a lot of new people.
To throw your hat in the ring, please email Anastasia Guta, Managing Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Looking for Editors”. Let us know why you’re interested and what qualifications and/or interests you bring to the role. Feel free to ask questions as well.
Thanks and Be Well,