From the Kingdom Seneschal
Good morning, everyone
Please note that the Board of Directors updated the bullying & harassment policy at their April 4, 2020 meeting. The updated policy is below, and is currently available in the President’s summary of the meeting ( https://www.sca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/April2020BoardMeetingPresidentsReport.pdf ).
Bullying and Harassment Policy Changes (to be placed in the of the Society Seneschal’s Handbook.
I. Bullying and Harassment The SCA prohibits bullying and harassment of all individual and groups. Bullying is systematic and unwelcome behavior which involves the use of influence, threat, intimidation, or coercion to cause hurt or harm to another person or group of people. When the bullying behavior is based on a protected class (1) , that behavior is defined as harassment.
(1) race, sex, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or disability
Bullying and Harassment may be overt, as in the following non-inclusive list of examples:
- Verbal abuse, including using racial, homophobic, transphobic, ableist epithets, etc.
- Non-consensual physical contact, violence, or threatening gestures
- Displaying material that is offensive, degrading, or threatening to a protected class
- Consistent demeaning remarks or malicious teasing
- Stalking or predatory behavior
- Spreading rumors or innuendo with malicious intent
- Deliberate exclusion, isolation, or alienation of an individual without just cause
- Using rank, title, or office to intimidate others
Provided that the behavior does not rise to the criteria listed above, bullying and harassment is not:
- Single episodes of social rejection, dislike, tactlessness, or forgetfulness
- Mutual arguments, disagreements, or fights
- The termination, mutual or not, of a romantic relationship or friendship
- Reasonable constructive feedback or critique
The test for bullying is the reasonableness of the behavior and the impact of that behavior on the recipient. Participants engaging in bullying/harassment are subject to appropriate sanctions. If an individual believes they have been subjected to or have witnessed harassment, bullying, or retaliation, that person should contact a seneschal, the President of the SCA, or that kingdom’s Board Ombudsman.
Mistress Medhbh inghean Uí Cheallaigh
Seneschal, East Kingdom