Artists and Scientists of the East! Greetings from your Champions.
While the balmy days of Pennsic may seem in the distant future, we are already hard at work in preparation for the Pennsic Arts and Sciences war point. To that end, we invite any members of the populace interested in becoming members of the war point team to submit A&S projects for consideration.
Due to time restrictions, projects proposed should already be well in progress or completed at the time of submission. If you have an idea for a brand new project, please consider working on that and submitting it for consideration next year.
Please submit your letter of intent to email@example.com, by April 3, and include the following information:
- SCA Name
- Your preferred method of contact & at least one alternate method of contact.
- A brief description of the project you would be completing for the competition.
- Photographs of your completed or in-process work.
- The name of the category (see below) that you think your project will best fall under.
- Completed or in process documentation, or, a detailed list of the sources and information you would be using to document your project.
- Links to other examples of your work: blog, photo gallery, store, Instagram, etc.
- List of places/dates you have displayed or competed with any of your work in the past.
As a reminder:
- Entries have been limited again this year, and cannot be research or performing arts. However, food and beverage entries are allowed!
- All Entries must have been completed at some point after last Pennsic (though they can certainly have been started before that time).
- The rules allow us 10 entrants (including competitors & alts), but that number has to include artisans from our allies as well.
- Champions will be chosen as soon as we can determine how many eastern entrants that we need (hopefully in early to mid-April).
- Those picked to serve will be asked to actively and enthusiastically work with a mentor to complete and/or revise their project (based on the Pennsic Scoring Rubric) in preparation for the competition.
- Completed documentation will be due at least two weeks before Pennsic.
We will need artists to compete in all three scoring categories:
1: Arts & Studio Crafts 3D
armor, beadwork, ceramics, glasswork, lapidary, metalworking, musical instruments, scientific devices, siege weapons & tool making, woodworking… etc.
2) Fiber & Clothing
applied beadwork, costuming, dyeing, embroidery, fiber prep, knitting, knotwork, lacework, naalbinding, needlework, weaving, spinning….etc.
3) Domestic Archeology & Lived Objects
animal husbandry, basket weaving, bookbinding, calligraphy, drawing, food and beverage, herbcraft and apothecary, illumination, leatherworking, paper making, toy making….etc.
If you have questions about the Pennsic War Point, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We will also be scheduling an online webinar to discuss the competition and talk with anyone interested in applying.
Yours in Service,
Amalie von Hohensee and Fiore Leonetta Bardi
Crown’s and Queen’s Champions of Arts and Sciences