Greetings again unto the Populace of the East from the Office of the Webministry!
As His Highness and Her Majesty said earlier today on Facebook, the project of moving our email system to Google for Non-Profits is proceeding. Since my last posting several things have clearly changed, and we have gotten some very good questions that we feel answers to must be spread widely.
First off, in one of my previous posts I said that the @eastkingdom.org accounts would have to go last for lots of reasons. Well, we solved the _technical_ reasons, obviously, and can now move those accounts. HOWEVER, the process takes more effort, leaves more of a mess to clean up afterwards, and will be a bookkeeping nightmare (which of these 700 accounts have we moved?) so we’re only moving those accounts who can demonstrate a significant need to get on the new system early. “I wanna” only counts if you’re Royalty, and they’re all already moved.
Next, an explanation of the timeline by which we move a branch:
1) We receive back the spreadsheet of account information
2) Fairly promptly we will create the new accounts
3) We send a welcome letter email to both your current officer account AND your provided “recovery email” account, that is, your personal email. We want to make sure that everyone sees at least one of these.
3A) The welcome letter includes instructions for setting your initial password, how to log in to check you email, and a note that your migration HAS NOT YET been scheduled.
4) When we schedule your migration, it will be at least a week after your accounts have been created and we will then send another email including the time and date. We are leaving a week in between so you can get your password set, make sure you can get in to your email, etc. BEFORE you are relying on this to get your job done.
5) When your migration happens:
5A) We start by switching over the flow of new mail to Google. Nothing more in the old account after this point
5B) We start the copy process to move all your old email over to the new Google account. This takes about 1 second/message, so if you’ve got the time to do a cleanup of old junk, please do.
5C) When it’s done, we send out YET ANOTHER email, this one telling you the migration is complete.
One big takeaway from this is that if your account was just created and you follow the instructions to set your password and log in, there won’t be anything in there to see. But you are ready for when there is.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are working on a Frequently Asked Questions document, but at the moment really polishing up the migration to be as easy and smooth as possible has taken priority. Soon.
East Kingdom Deputy Webminister for Services