A Message From the Gift Coordinator
Greetings to the noble people of the East!
I am Mistress Eleanore MacCarthaigh and I have the very great honor to be the Gift Coordinator for Their Munificent Majesties, Kenric and Avelina, may They reign forever!
It is my function to coordinate incoming gifts to be used as largesse or as gifts for exchanges with Their Royal Cousins. Many special projects are in the works, but I wish to communicate a few needs and un-needs to the populace. If anyone should have questions regarding gifts, please contact me (info below).
Some thoughts on gifts:
1. No single person or group needs to make All The Things. It’s very nice, but we don’t need 50 of hardly anything.
2. If you or your friends (household, regional group, etc.) would like to make some gifts and have not done them before, please contact me with your plans and/or ideas.
3. Please remember gifts need to be easily transportable, sometimes on planes. It’s also great if they are actually useful in our Game.
4. Please find a way to include a tag or other kind of label with what the item is (if it’s not obvious), the maker’s name(s), where they are located in the kingdom and “East Kingdom”.
5. Please remember allergies are an issue for many these days. If your gift is scented it could cause discomfort!
At this time we do not need paternosters or soap, we thank those who have made what we have for their brilliant response and creativity, but we have enough for now.
Gift bags of a useful size are in need, big enough and pretty enough to hold gift packages and be used later by the recipient so that they may remember the glory and generosity of our Kingdom. Small lined or lightly padded bags for jewelry and bags big enough for a modern tablet would also be of use. Draw string or strapped are fine. Varied fabrics are fine as well; however I’d like to suggest thinking about kingdom colors and the Anglo Saxon theme of Their Majesties’ reign. Please contact me if you’d like suggestions.
Packets of period spices and dried herbs would be very nice, especially if they include suggested recipes (with the goal of promoting period recipes). Please make sure packets are sealed well to reasonably preserve the contents, which should not expire within the reign.
Specific gift needs: I am looking for a few illuminators/calligraphers who are willing to make some blank note cards and “thank you” cards, about 4”x3” folded with the arms of the kingdoms for Pennsic. Packets of 6 are desired in period (or period-looking) papers. Please contact me off line – I am going to be assigning these to match specific gift-giving occasions. We also need some for Their Majesties’ use as well.
Other ideas are available plus I’m accepting thoughts and suggestions. Several projects are already in process. I thank you all in on behalf of Their Royal Majesties, Kenric and Avelina – long may they reign!
Eleanore MacCarthaigh, OL, OP
East Kingdom Gift Coordinator